This year 2015 SikhLEAD is hosting a New Jersey specific Internship Program. The application deadline for Summer 2015 placement is Monday, April 27th, 11:59pm EST.
- The internships will be with New Jersey State Assembly and the State senate.
- There are full time and part time opportunities.
- Recent college graduates, college students, high school seniors are encouraged to apply
For further information about the program contact our Education Director, Jyotswaroop Kaur at 213. 985.1116 x 132 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application now.
The SikhLEAD Washington DC Internship Program partners with congressional offices, federal agencies, and Washington, DC-based organizations to provide Sikh American students (undergraduate, graduate, and law students) with enriching internship experiences. Through this program, students are afforded first-hand perspective into the functioning of the federal government and the legislative process.
SikhLEAD Internships develop leadership skills, encourage political and civic engagement, and foster interest in public service careers by providing an unparalleled experience of interning in a congressional office, federal agency, or another political social-profit organization. Internships will allow students to explore a potential career track, create a network of professional and personal contacts, develop real-world skills, and build confidence.
While intern responsibilities in federal agencies and other host organizations may vary, intern responsibilities in congressional offices might include:
- Conducting research
- Attending hearings and writing summary memos
- Advocating policy positions
- Writing press releases
- Summarizing Capitol Hill briefings
- Planning and coordinating events sponsored by the congressional office
- Responding to constituents
Past internship placements and interested hosts for 2015 include:
- The White House
- Various congressional offices:
- Senator Chris Coons (DE)
- Congressman Ami Bera (CA)
- Representative Mike Honda (CA)
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (NY)
- Congresswoman Judy Chu (CA)
- Congressman Peter DeFazio (OR)
- Congressman Pete Sessions (TX)
- Congressman Eric Swalwell (CA)
- Congressman John Conyers, Jr. (MI)
- Congressman Joseph Crowley (NY)
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- House Oversight Committee (Research, Finance and Media internships available)
- Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Smithsonian Institution
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) ( Must apply 18 months in advance of internship start date)
- The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- The Becket Fund (must have completed 1st year of law school)
- Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations (AAPCHO) – (prefer graduate students)
- National Organization for Women (NOW)
- SALDEF National Office
Note: Unless otherwise specified, all hosts are seeking undergraduate, graduate, and law students.
Throughout the duration of the internship, SALDEF will host a series of special programming and opportunities, such as leadership workshops, networking events, and cultural outings in DC, to further contribute to the development of the next generation of leaders. These workshops and events are mandatory.
SALDEF supports each participant with a $1500 stipend upon satisfactory completion of internship.